As a native of New Orleans, there are a few things that are almost a must. You cheer for the New Orleans Saints. You look out for your neighbors. And you for sure get a pot of rice going everyday. Why? Because nearly every New Orleans dish includes rice.
Here’s my problem. I always make way too much rice. And after we’ve eaten our red beans and rice or etoufee or whichever dish that included rice, we’re left with cups of cooked rice with no home.
My solution… Fried Rice! Here’s an awesome fried rice recipe with already cooked rice!
Fried Rice Recipe With Already Cooked Rice
- Large saute pan or wok
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs, whisked
- soy sauce, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- salt/ seasoning salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare your frozen peas and carrots. Place half the bag into a small pot of boiling water. Let boil for approximately 5 – 7 minutes, then set to the side.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in your pan until melted. Use medium-high heat. Add your egg, scramble, and move to a separate plate.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan. Once melted, add the chopped onion and garlic. Season, liberally with salt and pepper. Cook onion and garlic until softened.
- Increase the heat to high and add a 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Stir until melted.
- Add rice to pan and stir all pan ingredients until combined. Saute and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peas, carrots, eggs, soy sauce to taste and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Stir to combine all ingredients for 2 minutes and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn of heat, add sesame oil at the very end and stir until combined.
- Enjoy! Feel free to add extra soy
Let us know how everything turned out!